About the program
Promotion of early-stage researchers for the obtainment and advancement of teaching competencies for doctoral candidates
The program addresses all doctoral students whose dissertation stage is advanced and who aspire to a career as a university lecturer. In the frame of this two-semester program, scientifically qualified persons with little or no teaching experience are gaining theoretical and practical knowledge and competencies needed for research-led and student-centered academic teaching (see concept of the lectureship program). The participation in this program is combined with marginal employment at the Academy, including 2d-hours in the winter semester and 2b-hours in the summer semester, confirmed with a certificate at the end of the program.
- Doctoral study at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna as of the third semester upon application (before the third semester only by confirming an advanced dissertation by the supervisor)
- Dissertation Agreement or PhD-Project Agreement handed in on time (within the first year of study according to the curriculum)
In the case of a deadline extension for submission of the Dissertation Agreement by the vice-rector for art | teaching, the mail of approval is also needed.
Submission period yearly mid of January to mid of March
Please note that submissions are only possible via the Academy's submission system https://calls.akbild.ac.at/
- Curriculum vitae
- Actual confirmation of enrolment
- Dissertation Agreement / PhD Project Agreement (incl. Exposé)
- Letter of motivation
- Confirmation of the mentor that there is the possibility for co-teaching in the 1st semester of the program and that she_he is available to discuss any upcoming questions during the 2 nd semester
- Letter of recommendation from the supervisor (if not identical with the mentor)
- Preliminary teaching concept for the independent scientific-theoretical course in the 2nd semester (for details, see concept of the lectureship program)
- Formal completeness of the application documents:
- Quality of the teaching concept (excluding artistic courses)
- Scientific quality of the dissertation according to the exposé (Dissertation Agreement or PhD Project Agreement)
- Progress of the dissertation according to the letter of recommendation
Selection of applications:
The vice-rectorate for art and teaching examines the application based on formal criteria (fulfilling the application requirements and the completeness of the documents).
If a final selection is necessary due to the limited number of participants in the program:
The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna aims to increase the representation of women and strongly encourages applications from qualified women. In addition, promising and motivated but socially disadvantaged doctoral students from third countries are given priority in the program.
Contact and information:
Dipl. Ing. Elisabeth Jäger (email@example.com)
Vice-Rectorate for Art | Teaching