Skip to main content

International Students

1. I’d like to spend an exchange semester at th Academy of Fine Arts Vienna.

Our International Office provides detailed information on how to apply for an exchange semester or year at the Academy.

2. I have issues with my visa application. Can the Academy help me?

The Student Welcome Center offers Information and support regarding all issues with visa applications and residence permits. Please contact the Student Welcome Center with your request:

Please note, that the Academy has no direct impact on decisions of the Austrian authorities.

3. My documents are not in German. What should I do?

All documents have to be submitted in German or English. If the original document is not issued in one of these languages, the document has to be translated. The translation has to be made by a certified, court-approved translator officially recognized by the issuing country. Further information is available on our website.

4. Which language skills in German and English are required?

The required language skills in German and English depend on the study program you are interested in. The required language proficiency in the different programs is stated on our website. Information about our German courses at the Academy and all accepted language certificates is available on the same page.

Students, who have German or English as their first language, don’t need to provide an additional proof.

5. What are the language requirements for admission to the Bachelor and Master program in Architecture?

For admission to the Bachelor and Master program in Architecture German and English knowledge on level B2 is required. Both programs are in German, but lectures and courses are also held in English.

6. With which certificates do I prove my language proficiency?

The required level as well as the time of verification varies depending on the relevant study program. The Academy accepts in general officially recognised language certificates and school leaving examinations. Further details on accepted certificates are available on our website.

7. Where can I learn German?

Within its course program, the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna offers German as a Foreign Language classes at different levels for regular students. Detailed information is available on the following page.

8. How can I get health insurance as a foreign student?

After admission to study, you can either get a private insurance or student self-insurance with the Austrian national health insurance carrier ( Österreichische Gesundheitskasse in German only). Please read the information on our website or on the page of the Austrian Agency for International Mobility OeAD.