Skip to main content


1. Students, who want to finish a whole study program in Austria

a) Austrian Students

Austrian students may take out student self-insurance ("Selbstversicherung für Studierende") if they are not included in the insurance of their parents anymore.
The main requirements are residence in Austria, a confirmation of admission or continuation of your studies from the relevant higher education institution. Certain conditionshave to be taken into consideration (e.g. duration of studies, income limits, a limited number of changes of fields of studies).

With the completed application form and the necessary documents the insurance needs to be taken out in person with the local public Austrian insurance provider (Österreichische Gesundheitskasse) of the university city or town. By December 31 st of each year  a valid confirmation of the continuation of your studies (Fortsetzungsbestätigung) needs to be submitted to the Gesundheitskasse. This has to provide proof for the entire academic year that you are entitled to continue your studies as a degree program student (ordentliche_r Studierende_r) at the Austrian university. Self-insured students have to pay an insurance fee of 69.13 Euro (as in 2024) per month.
The relevant authority in Vienna is Österreichische Gesundheitskasse at Wienerbergstrasse 15-19, 1100 Vienna.

b) Students from EU-/EEA-countries

If you are a student from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and are in possession of valid national health insurance in your home country, you need the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card will be issued by your health insurance provider upon application and entitles you to immediate medical treatment according to the public health care services.

If you wish to be entitled to use regular health care services, medical check-ups and non-urgent medical advice in Austria, we recommend to ask for the form S1 (E106/E109/E121) at your health insurance authority in your home country. The form has then to be submitted at the Austrian health insurance (ÖGK) to receive the Austrian health insurance card.

c) Students from non-EU-/EEA-countries

As a regular international student, who stays longer than 6 months a health insurance "covering all risks" is necessary. Travel health insurance policies are only sufficient for the period between entering Austria and taking out a health insurance covering "all risks". If you are not from a country  that has concluded a social insurance agreement with Austria you may take out a student self-insurance ("Selbstversicherung Studierende") – as described above.

2. Temporary admission for studies in Austria, for example incoming students

a) Stays of up to 6 months

For stays of up to six months (with or without visa) a travel health insurance is usually sufficient. Please bear in mind, however, that it must be valid in Austria and provide sufficient cover for different health issues (covering medical costs of more than 30,000 euros, including guarantee to cover possible recovery and repatriation costs, and it must be valid for the whole duration of your stay in Austria). Travel insurance policies often have to be purchased before travelling to Austria.

b) Stays of more than 6 months

As an incoming student, who plans to stay longer than 6 months a health insurance "covering all risks" is necessary (see also regular international students).

The Austrian Agency for International Mobility and Cooperation also provides detailed information on the topic of insurance for international students in Austria.